Vacancy: Project Manager, SymbioCity Approach
SKL International is looking for an experienced and results driven project manager to work with the implementation of the SymbioCity Approach (SCA). The SymbioCity Approach is a process for sustainable urban development that SKL International implements as part of Swedish international development cooperation (see www.symbiocity.se). The role includes managing parts of an ongoing project in Kenya as well as an upcoming project in either Ethiopia or Tunisia.
About the role
This role will oversee implementation of the SymbioCity Approach in seven counties in Kenya. This includes planning, managing, following up and reporting on project activities as part of a broader team.
The project manager will also oversee implementation of the SymbioCity Approach in two cities, either in Ethiopia or Tunisia. The project manager will be responsible for identifying and managing experts, for planning, managing, following up and reporting on project activities and for ensuring that the project is on track to meet its objectives.
Further, the project manager will be part of a core team that manages implementation of the SymbioCity Approach globally, and will be expected to contribute to the continuous development and promotion of the Approach.
The Project Manager is a permanent position with a probation period of six months. It will be based in SKL International’s head office in Stockholm but with frequent travel to Kenya and other countries.
The successful candidate will:
– Be proactive, structured and take responsibility for achieving results
– Have a high degree of initiative and self-motivation, with an ability to identify risks and opportunities and respond accordingly
– Be able to lead, motivate and organise teams based in different locations as well as contribute as a team member within SKL International
– Be highly professional and able to independently represent SKL International and the SymbioCity Approach in contacts with various stakeholders including international, national and local government representatives, politicians, public officials, embassy staff and civil society organisations
– Be able to translate project experiences and learnings to strategic and policy related activities
– Demonstrate flexibility and good judgement, and be able to solve issues in consultation with others
– Be able to adapt to different situations and cultures and have excellent interpersonal skills.
In addition to the profile above, the Project Manager should:
– Have relevant academic education in a subject such as governance, public administration, development studies, environmental management, urban development, urban planning or sustainability issues
– Have considerable experience of managing and implementing complex projects on the ground, preferably from working in the Sub-Saharan region
– Have experience of working with international development cooperation and good knowledge of Sida’s policies and priorities
– Experience and capacity to effectively manage development and/or planning projects that involve multiple stakeholders, including facilitation and coaching
– Have experience working with different project management tools and approaches as well as monitoring and evaluation
– Have excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing
– Be skilled in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel and be able to work with budgets and numbers as well as with text
– Be fluent in English as well as Swedish
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send your up-to-date CV and a covering letter to Symbio@sklinternational.se no later than October 18. Applications will be assessed continuously and interviews may be conducted before the closing date, therefore we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Questions about the role should be sent via email to Symbio@sklinternational.se. The position is expected to start as soon as possible. Unsuccessful applicants will be advised by email once a final decision on the recruitment has been made.
About SKL International
SKL International is the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Region’s (SALAR’s) organisation for international development cooperation. SKL International’s vision is a world with strong local and regional democracy. We build the capacity of local and regional governments so they can lead in a more effective, democratic and inclusive way. More info is on our website at www.sklinternational.se.