Vacancy: Project Manager for Iraq
SKL International is looking for an experienced and results-driven project manager to lead a three and a half-year project focused on strengthening local governance and local service delivery in Iraq.
From 2012 to 2017 SKL International implemented the Governance in Social Care Iraq project in partnership with governorates in Iraq. The project has led to good results, trustful relations, and well-established channels of dialogue. The new project, Local Governance Development in Iraq – LOGDEVI, will be an integrated part of the ongoing decentralisation reform of the country and it will work in the areas of inclusive education and administrative decentralisation, and de-concentration of social services. LOGDEVI will be implemented in three governorates – Diwaniyah, Duhok and Muthanna – with activities also organised with Baghdad and Erbil authorities.
About the role
This role will oversee the set-up and implementation of LOGDEVI project in Iraq. The project manager will be responsible for identifying and leading experts, for planning, managing, following up and reporting on project activities and for ensuring that the project is on track to meet its objectives. This includes budget management and financial follow-up. Duties also entail overseeing the work of local teams in all the provinces. In this she/he will be supported by two international component leaders (one for the north and one for the south of Iraq).
The Project Manager may also be involved in the development or implementation of other projects in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
The role is a permanent position with a probation period of six months. It will be based in SKL International’s head office in Stockholm with frequent travel to Iraq, as well as other parts of the MENA region.
The successful candidate will:
- Be proactive, structured and take responsibility for achieving results
- Have a high degree of initiative and self-motivation, with an ability to identify risks and opportunities and respond accordingly
- Be able to lead, motivate and organise teams based in different locations as well as contribute as a team member within SKL International
- Be highly professional and able to independently represent SKL International in contacts with various stakeholders including international, national and local government representatives, politicians, public officials, embassy staff and civil society organisations
- Demonstrate flexibility and good judgement, and be able to solve issues in consultation with others
- Be able to include gender and human rights perspective in conflict sensitive projects
- Be able to adapt to different situations and cultures and have excellent interpersonal skills.
Experience and qualifications
In addition to the profile above, the Project Manager should:
- Have relevant academic education in a subject such as governance, public administration, development studies, conflict or migration issues
- Have considerable experience of managing and implementing complex projects on the ground, preferably from working in the Middle East region
- Have experience of working with international development cooperation and good knowledge of Sida’s policies and priorities
- Have experience working with a rights perspective and hands on work with gender mainstreaming and/or integrating gender perspective in conflict contexts
- Have experience from working with local governance, service delivery and decentralisation
- Have excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing
- Be fluent in English and Swedish. Arabic is merit.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please send your up-to-date CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 10 June, 2018. Applications may be in English or Swedish. Applications will be assessed continuously and interviews may be conducted before the closing date, therefore we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.
Questions about the role should be sent via email to email@example.com. The position is expected to start as soon as possible. Unsuccessful applicants will be advised by email once a final decision on the recruitment has been made.
About SKL International
SKL International is the Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Region’s (SALAR’s) organisation for international development cooperation. SKL International’s vision is a world with strong local and regional democracy. We build the capacity of local and regional governments so they can lead in a more effective, democratic and inclusive way. More info is on our website at www.sklinternational.se.