Visit builds new partnership with the Kenyan Council of Governors
In March SKL International hosted a visit from the Kenyan Council of Governors to Sweden. The visit was an opportunity to build relationships at the start of a new cooperation project between the two organisations. The project will use the SymbioCity Approach to improve sustainable urban development in Kenya.
The Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions (SALAR) and the Kenyan Council of Governors (COG) are starting up a project on sustainable urban development in Kenya. The Kenya SymbioCity Programme, as it is called, will build the capacity of urban development stakeholders (including COG) to guide Kenyan urban development in a more sustainable direction.
The programme uses a methodology called the SymbioCity Approach, which is a participatory approach to sustainable urban development, run by SKL International (see www.symbiocity.se). The SymbioCity Approach supports cities in planning sustainably and identifying inclusive and innovative solutions to urban challenges through synergies between different urban systems. The approach is largely founded on practical experience and expertise from Swedish local governments. The project in Kenya will run from April 2015 to December 2018.
In advance of the project, SALAR and SKL International hosted a visit from the Council of Governors to Sweden. The delegation comprised Governors, Deputy Governors or County Executives from the following counties: Bomet, Lamu, Kitui, Kajiado, Mandera, Nandi, Narok, Trans Nzoia, and Wajir. The visit took place between 23 and 28 March 2015. The purpose of the visit was primarily on building relationships between the organisations and setting a strong foundation for the programme partnership. To this end the visit:
– Facilitated dialogue and exchange between COG and SALAR and including the opportunity to observe the Election Congress of SALAR on 24 March
– Compared the Swedish and Kenyan systems of local governance, and reflect the role of associations such as COG and SALAR
– Showed ‘good practice’ of sustainable urban development in Stockholm
– Discussed the SymbioCity Approach to sustainable urban development
– Reflected on the role of political leaders in sustainable urban development
– Set the vision for the Kenya SymbioCity Programme
A report about the visit will be published in April 2015 and made available on the websites of SKL International and the Council of Governors (www.cog.go.ke).