Description of Project
The assignment included an analysis of possible approaches which interlink decentralization efforts on national, county and local levels.
Context of the decentralisaiton process:
- Undeveloped infrastructure and means of communication, low level of education, high level of corruption, lack of capacity in public institutions.
- Highly centralised – a lot of power vested in the President
- Few elected officials
- Many administrative levels at local level but no local governance
- County and cities are presently the only entities with potential of self governance and of delivering services.
Conclusions from the Study
Decentralisation capacity building efforts need to prepare for a political decision-making environment
- Cities are potentially important actors for the decentralisation process and Liberia’s development but have so far been more or less neglected in this process.
- Origin of founding
- 220 000 SEK