Description of Project
The SymbioCity Pilot Project in Duyun has the overall objective to contribute to enhanced capacity of local governments in China in terms of sustainable urban development and citizen service provision.
The project consists of two parts. The first is a pilot application of the SymbioCity approach, a conceptual framework for sustainable urban development. SymbioCity builds upon an integrated and holistic approach to urban development with particular focus on the environmental aspects, as well as clear links to economic and socio-cultural dimensions within the physical/spatial built environment.
The pilot application of the SymbioCity approach in Duyun is signified by actor driven co-operation between the Swedish Association of Local Authorities (SALAR), SKL International and China Association of Mayors as well as between Duyun and the Swedish municipality of Eskilstuna. The partner municipalities will jointly develop an Urban Sustainability Review (USR) of Duyun, with support from SALAR/CAM. The USR will include application of the different methodologies and tools applied in the SymbioCity approach. The USR will result in the identification of indicators, scenarios, impact analyses as well as an action plan.
The second part of the project is an implementation of the Citizen Service Centre (CSC) concept, developed during an institutional cooperation between CAM and SALAR between the years 2008 and 2010. The cooperation resulted in a CSC Guidebook, which will be used to practically establish a pilot CSC in Duyun. The Swedish municipality of Eskilstuna will use its own experience from working with CSCs to provide input to the establishment of CSC in Duyun.
The project is expected to achieve the following results:
- Strengthened institutional capacity of Duyun and Eskilstuna to develop an urban environment that is sustainable and contributes to enhanced quality of life for the inhabitants.
- Enhanced capacity of Duyun to improve its citizen service provision.
- Duyun is a pilot model for other Chinese cities within sustainable urban development and citizen service provision.
- A long-term partnership is established between the municipalities of Duyun and Eskilstuna, contributing to increased awareness and enhanced knowledge in both municipalities.
Description of Services provided
Application of SymbioCity approach:
Development of Urban Sustainability Review of Duyun, including
- Training and capacity building of project participants
- Consultancy support and technical assistance including diagnosis of present urban situation, specification of objectives, targets and indicators, back-casting and development of scenarios as well as formulation of action plan
- Process support
- Study visits
Implementation of Citizen Service Center (CSC):
- Consultancy support including identification of relevant functions and services of CSCs in the Duyun context as well as formulation of action plan
- Practical preparations for the establishment of CSC
- Training of CSC staff
Find out more about the SymbioCity Approach
Contact: Paul Dixelius, Project Manager, email@example.com
- Origin of founding
- 6 550 000 SEK
- Prop. carried out by SKL International
- Partners / Consortium
- China Association of Mayors (CAM), Municipalities of Duyun, China and Eskilstuna, Sweden