In December 2015 and with renewed support from Sida, SKL International started up the global SymbioCity Approach programme. The overall objective of the programme was: Improved health, safety, comfort and quality of life for poor people living in urban areas.
The programme has the following main components and attached objectives:
- Advancing the SymbioCity Approach with the purpose of influencing international operations and policy debate on sustainable urban development through the SymbioCity Approach;
- City Projects with the objective to better equip cities in targeted countries (3 countries in Africa and Latin America) to address urban challenges related to sustainability and resilience;
- Targeted capacity building with the objective to capacitate a critical mass of urban development stakeholders in Myanmar to address urban challenges related to sustainability.
Main services to be provided includes:
- Identification, mobilisation and management of experts including experts in urban development, participative planning, gender mainstreaming, water, waste, public space, mobility etc.
- Policy dialogue, advice and analysis
- Networking and dissemination of experiences to relevant international, national and local actors
- Delivery of training, study-visits, seminars and workshops
- Development of communication and learning material in the field of sustainable urban development
- Support to targeted cities in Africa and Latin America including process support, technical expertise, training, study visits, coahing and exchanges
- Support to targeted urban development stakeholders in Myanmar including training, awareness raising, study visits and exchanges
- Project management including planning, budgeting, reporting and M&E